Saturday, September 10, 2011

10 years

10 years ago tomorrow is a day that changed America forever. I will never forget it. Oddly enough it was a crazy year before September 11. We weren't even in school yet. We couldn't be in our school building because the old part of it had to be torn down. There were some problems with the process and it took longer than expected because of the problems encountered by the people doing the work. Since we couldn't be in the school building we were prepared to move over to the church, but that didn't work out either. We had a meeting to give parents what they needed to get started at home until we could start. So, we were not in school that day. 10 years ago, mom and dad were still healthy and well, and were both working...mom at the Town Hall as a temp, and dad at Cigna where he worked as a cook for 30 years or so. That morning I was sleeping in since I didn't have anywhere to be. My neighbor called that morning probably around 9 or so and asked if I had been watching the news. I oddly enough had gotten up and was doing a few things, but hadn't turned the TV on yet, which was not normal for me. I normally turn the TV on first thing so I can watch the news, but this morning for some reason I didn't. My neighbor told me that a couple of planes had crashed into the World Trade Center buildings. I was shocked to hear it, but somehow in my mind it didn't compute that it was here, it had to be "someplace else". When I turned on the news, I was shocked to see what I was seeing. I couldn't take my eyes off of the TV. I think I called my mom to see how they were doing there at Town Hall. Thankfully they were fine there. I don't remember if I called my dad, I don't think I knew how to get ahold of him in the kitchen of Cigna. I just looked forward to them both getting home, so we could be together during this crazy time. The worst thing for me was knowing that I wouldn't even be able to be home with them that night because I was supposed to be house/cat/mom sitting for a family from my mom's church. Her daughter and son-in-law were going on a mini vacation and I was staying over the house for a night or two so they could get away. I hoped that maybe they would cancel. The last thing I wanted was to be away from home that night. When I got over to the house of this couple, they hadn't had the TV on and didn't know what was happening. I told them and they turned it on when I got there and watched it for a little bit before they left. So, there I was in this house trying to be comfortable, but it's extra hard on a day like this. It was weird sleeping in a different house that night, when I just wanted to be safe in my house, in my bed, with my parents. I had the weirdest dream that night, too. I dreamed that we were at a church and were being attacked. We had to go into a basement or bunker or something like that to be safe from these bombs and things going off. It was pretty freaky, especially waking up from it and being in a weird house. It was a rough night for me. I was so glad to get back home after they came back. I think I ended up just watching the news and talk shows and everything I could to see what I hadn't been able to see while I was "sitting". My heart kept breaking over and over as I saw the heartbreaking images from that day. Hearing the stories of loved ones, hearing final messages that some of the victims sent to their families, seeing the images of those that felt it would be better to just jump rather than stay in that burning building. I was forever touched and changed by that day, as I know the whole world was. I was also never more proud to be an American. I was so proud to see so many flags on homes, cars, everywhere! We came together as we so often do in times of tragedy. I didn't know anyone who died that day, but my cousin actually worked in one of the World Trade Centers. That day, oddly enough, but thankfully, he overslept. One of his friends called him to see if he could get in touch with him. His friend was shocked that he answered. My cousin jumped up and was about to get off of the phone to get ready to head off to work, but his friend told him to turn on the TV to see what was going on because he wasn't going to be able to go to work that day. He was shocked! What a moment for him, mixed emotions of not having been there, but thinking of the people he worked with who lost their lives, and then the reality of not having a job either. What a tough time, so many innocent lives lost, so many moms, dads, brothers, sisters, family members, friends, police officers, firefighters. Along with the almost 3,000 lives lost that day, jobs were lost, buildings were lost, and our security, comfort, and innocence were also lost. These evil men brought such destruction and devastation, and tried to destroy America, but they just proved to bring us together and make us stronger. We are still standing, and by God's grace we are still here. Things have changed and we are much more leery and careful, but we are still strong.
Lord, that was a tough, scary, extremely sad day for America, but you weren't missing on that day. You were there the whole time, watching and taking care of us. Thank you for allowing us to continue to be one nation under You. Thank you for being an ever faithful God!

No comments:

Post a Comment