Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Valentine's Day 2011

  1. Me, talking about Valentine's Day?? Ha! This is usually I day where I wear a teeny bit of red, but plenty of black. I mean what single person is really thrilled with this day? Well, maybe others have a better attitude than I do, but I'm sure there are one or two others out there who feel as I do! The day came so quickly this year...actually I have felt a little off many times this year. But last week sometime I thought, it would be nice to just go ahead and buy myself some roses. Since no one else is going to buy me any, why not treat myself? Then I thought about what I would put on the card to myself. The Lord then put something else in my mind. Now the plan was still to buy myself flowers, but instead of buying just myself a dozen roses, I would share them. I talked to a couple of friends and they thought it would be a nice idea. Friday night I got up the courage to text my "mom", Kim Weber, to ask her if this would be doable. She said she thought it would. She called me on Saturday and we got it all settled. The Lord then gave me the words for the cards: I love you, I have always loved you! You are beautiful and you mean the world to me. On this day I want you to know how special you are to me! I hope these roses bring you as much joy as you bring me. Love, God. I still was a bit selfish, I got half a dozen roses for me. Then I had three roses for my friends Sam and Karen. It was the first time I actually looked forward to Valentine's Day! I knew friends would be getting a nice surprise and it made me excited. It took my mind off of the struggle I often feel being single and never really experiencing anything special on this day. That morning the flowers were delivered, I loved seeing mine and reading the message again. Then Sam came out and talked about how she got great flowers, when I pretended not to know what she was talking about she didn't believe me, and asked me if I got flowers from God because He loves me too. Then Karen asked me if I had gotten roses and she said how special that was for her. I tried not to tell her that I had given them to her. But I had to let her know because she was going to write a thank you note to someone else, so I didn't want her to get embarrassed by doing that. So, I finally did tell her. She was so surprised and said that made them even more special. She said she bawled in front of her class, but it was such a good lesson for her kids. They kept asking her who they were from-a boyfriend or her son. She was able to share with them that it was a reminder to her from God about how much He loves her. She said they were very quiet, and she could tell they were really getting it. At the end of the day we made sugar cube igloos. One of my parents got the stuff and showed how to make it. What a wonderfully fun way to end the day. I left school that afternoon with a huge smile on my face. I think I am going to incorporate this idea each year for Valentine's Day! I know I was blessed and it was great to know that I could bless someone else's day. Thank you, Lord, for not allowing me to dwell on myself and my sadness or discontent on a day like that. Thank you for the idea to be a blessing to someone else and thanks for reminding each of us that you love us and delight in us! Help me to always remember. It's wonderful to be loved!

No comments:

Post a Comment