Thursday, January 21, 2010

Celebration

Today is my mom's birthday. She is 71 years young. I am so thankful for her. Even though she has not been the same since my dad's death and her mind seems to be fading, I'm just thankful that I still have her. Last year this time we had a huge surprise party for her. Tonight was just a smidge more low-key. I bought her a card, and an ice cream cake which we both love!! Then I also bought her a nice poem from a guy that was standing outside Stop & Shop. He said he just got out of jail and was trying to make a decent living for himself. He calls himself God's poet. He had some beautiful poems that he wrote and had displayed. So I bought a card for my mom with two poems on it. Then I got a couple of free poem things from him. He was very nice and just asked that I would remember him when I needed some nice cards and asked if I would tell at least two people about him. We had dinner, then I told my mom to come downstairs so we could watch a movie. I had her watch UP with me. I love that movie and wanted to share it with her. I think she enjoyed it. During the halfway point of the movie I got out the ice cream cake and gave her her cards. She loved them. She especially loved the poems, I think they brought tears to her eyes. One was called Higher Ground and the other was A Work of Art. They really touched her. We ate our ice cream cake, finished the movie and now we are heading to bed. I want to treasure each moment because they go too quickly. I thank the Lord for this special night together. I debated on what to do and I am so thankful that I truly believe I made the right choice for us.
Thank you, Lord for the parents you give us. Thank you for blessing me with an amazing family. Thanks for allowing me to try to take care of her as she has faithfully taken care of me all these years. Please allow us many more years together.

No comments:

Post a Comment