Sunday, August 28, 2011

Irene

Well, Hurricane Irene came and went. I still have power, and never lost it to begin with. I was definitely thankful about that. I was ready for it though, had chargers ready to go. The rain was definitely coming down when I got up this morning and took Bella out. Not much else was going on out there besides heavy rain. We didn't stay out long because Bella was getting soaked and she still has her summer cut, so she was ready to go in after looking around for a couple of minutes. When I came back inside I went right downstairs to see if there was any water coming in the room where we keep our Christmas trees. It was coming in, the carpet in the rec room was squishing under my feet. I got some blankets and rugs to put them down inside the room and on the carpet outside the room. I then went back upstairs to get some rest before the rest of the storm came. A little after we had breakfast. I kept my eyes on the weather to see if we needed to head downstairs. I took Bella out again, then convinced mom to come downstairs for a bit, just in case. We watched the storm coverage on NBC, we normally watch Channel 3, but couldn't because the power went out at their studio. Although there wasn't much happening where we were, there were some places that were having lots of problems. Trees were coming down, streets were flooding, power lines were coming down and catching on fire, people were having to be evacuated. A friend and her family had to be evacuated from their home. One time when I looked outside, I saw a small tree in our neighbor's front yard that had come down. I also noticed puddles of water by the house. So, I went into the laundry room to check and saw a little water coming in there, too. Beside those bits of water, not much else happened. It was a quiet day for mom, Bella, and myself. Mom kept wanting to go upstairs to her bed. She is pretty tied to that bed lately. She just loves to lie in it and watch TV. After a while I couldn't convince her to stay down here any longer, so she went back up. The storm still hadn't finished, but it didn't seem to be too bad. I knew she was going to end up going anyway, so I didn't say anything to try to stop her. So she did head back up to her bed and stayed there the rest of the day, except to come get dinner and her dessert. Ah well, thankfully she was ok up there where she really wanted to be. So all in all it wasn't a very eventful day, but that's not true for many other people throughout the state. Praying for those people. So, yes, just a little water and nothing more. I still have power and I get to blog again, thanking God for keeping us safe as we prayed for.
Thank you, God for protecting us and our home, and please be with those who weren't so fortunate.

No comments:

Post a Comment