Wednesday, March 16, 2011

I don't even know.....

We had quite the interesting day today! As I was teaching Arithmetic this morning, I was a little shocked to hear the fire alarm go off. Not just because we as teachers usually get a little warning, though not all the time, but more so because it was a rainy, raw day! We don't usually have a fire drill if it's rainy so the kids don't have to stand out in the rain, especially when it's chilly. Plus since we didn't know about it we couldn't warn kids to keep coats with them or something. It made me wonder if something happened, everyone seemed to be a little shocked, even the principal came out after everyone was outside and looked a little confused. Thankfully I had my umbrella, for those of you who know me, as I've said a thousand times before, I can't afford for my hair to get wet, it doesn't bounce back!! :) Anyway, we are standing there shivering like crazy, and some were getting wet as well. The principal came out again and finallytold us to come back in. When we did, Cathy came to ask if I had heard that it wasn't just one of those rare fire drills, oh no! It was pulled by a kindergarten student. Wow, I couldn't help but laugh out loud about that...I know I'm so pitiful sometimes! I did however find it quite funny, but was able to control myself enough to talk to my class about how we did with the fire drill. As we were talking about that, and I was getting ready to get back into the Arithmetic lesson...the fire alarm goes off...again!!! I couldn't believe it. Once again, we made our way outside, but as we were leaving, we as teachers were told that it was just a test from the fire department that time and we didn't need to go out. Many of 1st through 3rd graders had already gone out, and it was raining harder that time! We got them all back in quickly, though. My what a morning!! I finally got in my Arithmetic lesson in. We got through our other subjects without a problem. The students finally got to recess, but some had to finish their seat work, and I had a flute lesson to make up. Cathy needed me to got to the gym to watch the kids for a little bit while she went to take care of something. While I was in there the kindergarten were trying to tell me which of them pulled the alarm, then told that the person who did tried to blame it on someone else at first. I kept my poise, but man did I want to burst out laughing!! When I got back to the classroom, Olivia, my flute student was telling me that another student was dancing while she was playing. He decides to show me what he was doing, he says, "I was just doing this, because it sounded pretty!" Then he shows me this flailing arm, funky knee thing. I told him he needed to just stop, " I'm sure Olivia does not appreciate that, so sit and get your work done". I must admit I did have a little smirk on my face because it was a funny looking little dance, pretty pitiful actually! Well, wouldn't you know it, he wasn't done showing off his awful dancing skills. They came up again in Science class. We were playing a game and he got the answer right, so he decided to grace the whole class with his sad moves! I just looked at him, then I did that mouth thing, see, sometimes I just have to say things and they just kinda come out in some creative crazy ways, I don't know how I get away with it, but somehow I do, well that's what took place...I looked at him and in only my crazy way said, " Black people do not dance like that! I don't understand how you can be black and dance like that with no rhythm, how sad! ( Nope not done yet!) You need to ask your dad to get you a plane ticket to Africa so somebody there can teach you some rhythm, son!" He thought it was pretty funny and so did everyone else, including myself actually! :) Oh this mouth of mine. Well, that wasn't the only funny part that happened. A few minutes after one of my girls got the right answer and did a little jog kinda thing and the boy told her, "Well, you don't have much rhythm either". My other girl looks at him and says, "Yea, but she's not from Africa!" My head went down and I just shook, I think I scared the kids for a second because they came up to my table to see if I was OK, but I was laughing too hard to answer!! It was just so classic and quick, gotta love those moments!
Lord, thank you for days like this that are so out of the ordinary that they are very memorable and fun. Thank you for allowing me some moments to just laugh and enjoy this class! It was great to laugh so much, I'm sure you got a few good chuckles as well. Days like this help to break up the monotony or frustrations sometimes felt at this time of year. Thanks for giving us opportunities to enjoy one another in fun ways. May we have more special memories this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment