Friday, July 27, 2012

Family

I read some pretty incredible blogs and I so desire to have some of that smooth, suave way with words...to have one of those blogs that is worth reading, and has some great elements to it.  But.......it's me, a simple girl, with a simple mind, just wanting to share a few simple things.  Well, the reason for saying all of that is because I, in an attempt to be one of "those" blogs for a moment, thought, I'll start this post with the definition of a family to sound like one of those incredible, popular blogs.  And hahaha, this is what I get...the first link Google brought me to was from Wikipedia.  Here is what Wikipedia describes family as: "...a group of people affiliated by consanguinity, affinity, or co-residence."  Huh??  Maybe this is why I'm not one of "those"! :)  But farther down was a link to Dictionary.com which states family as " a social unit consisting of one or more adults together with the children they care for."  Now that one I get!  But being the simple-minded girl that I am, my definition would be even more simple than that.  In my definition family simply means "love".
This past weekend was the Monroe-Revels Family Reunion.  I love my family reunions!!  They are so special to me.  So many memories from past family reunions, especially those down in Georgia.  That's where I first saw lizards and my aunt taught me to call out "Lizard, lizard, show your blanket" to get them to puff out the red under their chin.  It was where I first learned to ride (a bit painfully) a 10-speed bike (it was a guys bike).  It was where I ran around with my cousins, and one scary time even fell in a small well that had been used for trash.  It just took a couple of the guys to help me out.  It was where my sweet pappy and I would walk down the railroad tracks and talk, and I would learn a little about his life.  Even as I got older, we would still go for our walks and talks, I would find broken turtle shells or old train spikes, and lizards and other creatures.  I loved these walks!!!

 One time not too long ago, I went on a long walk with pappy and my uncle Cephus way back on the property...me, who doesn't do outdoors much, who is afraid of bugs and things, who hates being hot... my "country" side just seemed to come out when I was there.  It was great listening to them reminisce as we walked.  I always learned some great things about them, family and the land.
So, with all of these great memories, you can imagine my excitement for the reunion last weekend.  Just a week ago it started, sadly I didn't go because mom is needing more care and the nurses don't think she should be left alone.  So, it was killing me not to be there.  But, Saturday night, mom was all set, just relaxing in the bed, and I made my own executive decision to go.  I just had to get out to see my family!!!  I am so glad I went. It was the first time going to a family reunion all alone, that in itself was a bit emotional.  It was so great to see my aunts, uncles, and cousins!  It was great to chat it up with so many of them.  It was great to laugh, eat some great food, and enjoy myself.  It was only for a couple of hours, but boy I will treasure those hours!!


Auntie Alberta who just turned 88 this past Tuesday, Aunt Doris and  Uncle Henry 
Uncle George who is 89
Just a few highlight pictures from Saturday night!  Loved making some new family reunion memories!

I also decided to go to the closing dinner on Sunday afternoon.  Once again, mom was doing fine.  She had finished her breakfast and was fast asleep.  So another great memorable time with my family!  I am so thankful for them, and the wonderful time I had with them.  




It was a bit emotional for me to see it come to an end, but....it wasn't quite over yet!
Tuesday my cousin Patty had the family over her house to celebrate my wonderful Auntie's 88th birthday!  She is such an amazing woman!  She still lives by herself in her own house, still drives, and always plants her garden every summer.  Then I heard for the first time as one of my cousins was talking to her, that she shoots off her shot gun every New Years! :)  She cooks for my Uncle George, who at 89 still lives by himself a little up the road from my aunt.  My cousin Debra also helps take care of him and we got to compare stories about the likes, dislikes, attitudes, questions, etc. that we see on a daily basis.  It was another amazing night with my family!!  My uncle George, who also suffers from dementia was asked when I was hugging him goodbye, if he knew who I was.  He said, "Sure, it's Buddy's daughter.  I don't remember her name."  I was so surprised and excited to hear that!!  He hasn't been remembering much lately, so what a thrill for me!  Being with my family was just what I needed this past weekend.  It renewed my spirit and reminded me of the love that is family!
Lord, I thank you for my family!!  I know I am truly blessed to be a part of this crazy, fun, amazing, beautiful family!!  Thank you for allowing mom to be OK so I could sneak out a couple of times to be with them.  Thank you for helping to renew my spirit just by being with such amazing people!  Thank you for giving us another great reunion.  Thank you for allowing us another year together, especially Uncle George.  If it's your will please allow me the opportunity to see them all again.  I love my family!!!

(And thank you, Lord, for church family and wonderful friends who are just like family that you have brought into my life as well!)
(Now to finish watching the opening ceremony of the Olympics!!!!  Love watching this!!)

4 comments:

  1. Stacey! Girl! Your blogs are beautiful!! Don't worry about what other people write. Just follow the leading of the Holy Spirit, and write what's on your heart! Someone, somewhere needs to hear what you have to say, in the way that only you can say it. And often that someone is me! I love you and pray for you often. I am SO glad that you had some much needed time to be with your family! What a blessing! Wish I lived close enough, I would have stayed with your mom so you could go even more! Oh, and the thing with the lizard, my mom always said tell them to show you their money :-). I've never heard the blanket one...funny how different areas have customs that are so close, but unique at the same time. Love you my friend! Thank you for being you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!!! You are too sweet!!! I feel the same way about your blog! You are continually a blessing to me! Thank you for your prayers, they mean so much!!! Yes, it was a wonderful time with my family, so glad I did it! Oh, I love that....show their money!! :) Now I'll have a couple of things to share with kids if we ever see any. :) So fun! Love you, too my friend, and thanks again for being such a blessing in my life!!

      Delete