Friday, July 20, 2012

Yet Another Sad Tragedy!

As I sit here writing this, I'm hearing the sad accounts from Aurora, Colorado, where a terrible shooting took place at a movie theater.  A midnight showing of the latest Batman movie brought many out to catch an early viewing of this much anticipated movie.  It just so happened that one of those many was a 24 year old man who orchestrated a plan to be in the theater, leave through the emergency exit and come back in with some type of gas canister that was thrown into the crowd and then guns to shoot people.  Accounts said he didn't say anything, just kept shooting, especially those who were trying to get away.  In the end 71 people were shot and 12 of those people were killed by this gunman.  He gave himself over to police without a struggle, but is not giving any information as to why he committed this awful crime.  Witnesses in the theater said he was just shooting sporadically, not caring who he hit...men, women, children, and even babies were hit by his bullets. (Children...babies at a midnight showing??  I don't get it!)  Though he was sporadic with his shots, he had this very well planned out.  He had a few weapons and plenty of ammunition.  He even had his apartment booby trapped so when the police went there they would be hurt, possibly killed.  Thankfully the teams that went to his apartment were very smart and careful not to just break into the apartment.  They carefully put a camera to the window and saw the trip wires, etc.  Then they carefully broke windows to see the best way to get into the apartment safely.  As far as I know right now they still haven't gotten into the apartment, there is still a large fire bomb in there that they are not sure how to get rid of.  Now they are talking about violence in movies and video games and on TV, and wondering if there will be any changes made to stop some of the violence that is seen.  I'm sorry but this always kills me.  So many times when tragedies happen, they look at some things that may have contributed to it and try to fix those things.  It seems that obviously it's a little too late now.  Violence has become much more accepted in today's society, it's accepted in movies, it's accepted on TV, and it's definitely accepted in video games.  Which means it is accepted by kids that are younger and younger.  These images and thoughts and sights are already in their minds, deadening the seriousness of violence.  And then we're surprised by things like this.  It's just such a sad situation.  It was even thought that the gas canisters were part of some realistic special effects of the movie, so many people didn't move right away.
What could cause someone to do something so cruel? What makes a person think or believe that it's OK?  These questions we may never understand fully here.  My heart goes out to the families affected by this tragedy.  I can't begin to imagine how difficult a time this will be for them.  This is why I don't want to take time with family and friends for granted.  Right now it's the Monroe-Revels Family Reunion, sadly because of mom's health I am unable to be there.  It's killing me, I want to see my aunts, uncles, and cousins...spending time eating lots of great food, laughing and reminiscing with family, taking lots of pictures to treasure the moments.  We were able to do that just two years ago in Georgia, it's sad that now that it's here we can't be there.  But I need to be here to take care of mom, that is what I need and desire to do right now.  I love family!  I give hugs and kisses, I say "I love you" often.  Life is too short and you never know when you'll have that chance again.  I hope we all will hold our loved ones a bit closer, share time and love with them, and share those precious words with them..."I love you!"
Lord, please be with the victims that have been shot, some in critical condition, please be with the families of all the shooting victims, especially those who lost loved ones.  May this wake many of us up and make us more aware of what things we let in our minds and allow ourselves to accept.  May this bring about changes in many of us, and may people come to know you through this. Only you could bring blessing from such a tragic situation, and I trust that you will.

No comments:

Post a Comment