Monday, January 2, 2012

2012...A Fresh Start

A new year....I must say I've never been a huge New Years person.  I don't make resolutions, I know I probably wouldn't keep them.  I haven't even always looked forward to it.  With mom and dad having been sick these past few years, it just made me think that that year may be the one they don't make it through (that was the case almost four years ago with my pappy).   We didn't even go out to parties much.  The past few years I would go over to our friends the Mason's house, but even then I would leave well before midnight to get back home to mom and dad (since pappy was sick), or to get mom home (pappy was no longer with us so I took her with me, but she couldn't handle staying out that late), or to get home to mom (she didn't want to go and decided to just stay home).  This year we did what we had always done in the past...just stayed home.  I was watching TV and on the computer, Bella was by my side, and mom was upstairs watching the Hallmark channel.  I took Bella out before I put her to bed with mom, since mom did not have a clue what the day was, she was probably just ready to go to sleep.  About a minute before midnight I went to her room, she still had her TV on so I didn't feel guilty thinking I was waking her up.  I came with our glasses of Sparkling Grape Juice and we watched the ball drop.  We wished each other a Happy New Year and I gave her a kiss.  We drank our Sparkling Grape Juice as we watched Dick Clark for a bit.  She mentioned how my dad wasn't here to celebrate New Years with us.  I told her I know it's sad, but we still have each other.  We finished our  grape juice and I said goodnight to her and Bella.  As I went back downstairs for a bit I couldn't help but think and pray that the Lord would help me with some things this year.  I want to rise above the discouragement and hold on to Him more and trust Him more.  I want to stop worrying about what the year might bring, and live one day at a time...enjoying that time.  I want to keep a positive mindset, not listening to Satan's lies.  I want to look ahead, to press toward the mark, rather than looking back at past disappointments and discouragements and mistakes.  I want to understand and accept the fact that I will still make mistakes, I will still struggle with these things, and instead of beating myself up and thinking of myself as a failure, I will look up to the hills from where my help comes from.  I want to be forgiving, of not only others, but myself as well.  I want to seek to pray more for others, and to try to encourage them in the Lord.  I want to love and enjoy every moment with mom, rather than worrying and wondering if this will be the last.  I want to embrace this year, and all that the Lord has for me through it, good or bad, knowing that He will go with me and be by my side all the way.  I want to remember how much He cares and never to doubt that.  I want to be encouraged by focusing on and following His words and His plans for me each day.  I want to enjoy this fresh new start that a new year brings, and I want to trust more.
Lord, it's a fresh start to a new year.  Help me to fully rely on you, trust you, heed you, and believe that you always have the best in store for me.  As I read Genesis chapter 1, which of course I know well, thank you for giving me a new perspective about it.  That was a fresh start as you spoke the world into existence.  As I think about you doing that and how wonderfully everything turned out because you made it good and saw that it was good, why should I doubt that you will do what is good for me in my life!  You knew just what you were doing when you created the world, how dare I doubt that you know what you are doing in my life!  And just as in the beginning you saw that it was good, I can know that you are seeing and doing what is good for me.  Thank you!  Help me to remember and trust and obey and look to you and not listen to Satan and not be selfish and listen to you and to others and love fully and enjoy each moment of each day that you give me!

What are some things you are striving for this coming New Year?  Would love to hear them, please drop a comment to let me know!  I would love to be encouraged by and learn some of the things the Lord is showing others, so please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment